Friday, March 28, 2008
Caedmon's Call at The Door
Went to the Caedmon's Call show last night at The Door in Dallas. It was great. Here are a couple of observations:
1) Derek Webb was with the band again, and he was wearing a white t-shirt. I picture him opening his closet and grabbing one of the 50 identical white t-shirts he has hanging neatly in a row. Good to know that going solo hasn't affected his sense of style.
2) Todd Bragg has an awesome beard. Nothing else to say about it. That beard is phenomenal.
3) Andrew Osenga stole the show. The solo at the end of "Hold the Light" was wonderful. He is unique and original, and he doesn't even try to be. It's just who he is.
4) The Door is now in the old Gypsy Tea Room building, and there were a lot of wild bands who played that joint over the years. The Backstage "green room" was loaded with interesting wall art. There was a picture of a Unicorn - the most mystical and sacred of all mythical creatures - that was quite disturbing. No one should do such things to Unicorn's. Here is the only part of the picture I can show you that will leave this poor creature with some dignity.
5) The show was impressive, and it was good to see the band back together. CC is a great group of people, and I love watching them play live. I was asking my wife the other day if we liked them because we know them or if we'd love their stuff even if we didn't know them. We both concluded that we'd dig them even if we didn't know them. You should probably buy their stuff.