Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Pit Bull Palin Wows the Political World



Before the proverbial ink was dry on my last post about Barak Obama, Sarah Palin storms to the stage of the Republican National Convention and delivers a whale of a speech. In the most intense and nerve wracking setting possible, under the scrutiny of the media and the watchful eye of many unconvinced Americans, Palin stood with all the poise of an unflappable veteran and ripped off the speech of her life. In so doing, she may have built a dam high enough to impede the progress of the Obama tidal wave.

Like a sports team who grasps victory from the jaws of defeat, the Republican ticket - though not quite achieving victory - has certainly gained a tremendous amount of momentum. Sarah Palin has come pretty darn close to matching Barak Obama's star power, but she didn't do it by becoming a media darling. Instead, she pole vaulted over an impossible bar and put her party back in the fight. The next few months are going to be very interesting.

I found two things about Palin's speech extremely refreshing:
  • Mrs. Palin spoke very genuinely to the families of Special Needs children. I can't tell you how much it means to my wife and I to have an ally of this stature on our Special Needs journey. Her words to Special Needs families were like honey. She, perhaps more than any other candidate that I can remember, knows what its like to serve the neediest of all people. I find that extremely compelling.

  • It was great, for once, to see a female stand on stage in something other than a pants suit. Finally a woman in the presidential conversation who actually looks like a female. I don't think anyone can doubt her toughness... She's a pit bull with lipstick! But she's still feminine. I have no problem with a strong woman, but I do have a problem with women who think that looking like a man makes one strong. Palin nailed this one, and she looked the part.

No comments: