Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Autism: The Musical

Since we just moved, and we signed up with a new cable company, we're receiving a few free months of what they like to call "Premium Channels."  We're now able to watch HBO, Showtime, and a few other channels that we've never had access to before.  It's kind of a nice little perk!

A couple of nights ago while I was channel surfing to find something interesting I noticed a show on HBO called "Autism: The Musical."  Just what we needed, right?  Another serious issue relegated to the status of "Musical."  Don't get me wrong, I like the occasional musical, but this genre can sometimes make serious situations seem like trite scenes from Grease.  That's the last thing I want to see when it comes to Autism.  Out of curiosity I decided to record this show.

I watched it tonight.  It's incredible.  It's actually a documentary about a lady who had a dream to teach Autistic kids how to perform a musical on stage, for an audience.  It details the lives and struggles of the children who play the main characters in the musical, and it tells both wonderful and excruciating stories about their lives with Autism.  What a wonderful, terrible, beautiful, horrible film.  It both breaks your heart and inspires your spirit.  I highly recommend it, and I fully realize that it may have particular interest and emotional weight for me due to the fact that I have an Autistic child.  Who knows, it may not hit you the same way.

If you have the chance, check it out.

You can read more about it here.

Here's a clip from the film:

No comments: